The City of Lockport Housing Authority administers 188 Housing Choice Vouchers throughout the city of Lockport.
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is a federally funded program designed to help eligible families, the elderly, and the disabled afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. HCV assistance is tied to the tenant and not a specific unit or complex which allows the tenant to rent any unit that meets general program requirements. All rental units must pass a Housing Quality Standards inspection and the rent requested by the landlord must be within program affordability limits and reasonable for the area.
All participants have the choice of living anywhere in the United States where a HCV program exists; however, new participants are required to utilize their assistance in the City of Lockport for at least one year if you did not live in the City of Lockport at the time of your application.
For additional information on the HCV program view the Housing Choice Voucher Fact Sheet.
Initial eligibility is based on the following factors:
- Annual Gross Income (see income limits )
- U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status
- Criminal background requirements and sex offender registry
How to Apply
Our waiting list for the HCV program is currently OPEN. Applications can be downloaded HERE or may be picked up and returned at either of our offices at 301 Michigan Street or 45 Ontario Street. Wait times vary depending on program turnover and program funding levels but average over one year. Applicants are required to notify our office of any changes in address, phone number, household size, or preference circumstances. Failure to do so may result in the withdrawal of your application.
An update of the waiting list is done biannually. Any applicant that does not return the update form by the date specified will have their application withdrawn.
- All changes in household income must be reported and written verification provided within 30 days of the date the change occurs.
- No adults should be added to the household without prior approval from our office.
- If you wish to move, you must provide written notice to your landlord in accordance with your lease and provide a copy to our office. You will then be given a landlord packet to give to your new landlord. You may also be required to re-certify depending on the date of your last recertification.
- You cannot move during your initial lease term without written permission from your landlord and a copy to our office prior to moving.
This online, FREE service allows tenants to search for available homes and apartments all across New York State using a wide variety of search options. This service also allows property owners and managers to list properties free of charge.